- If you had a free day with no responsibilities and your only mission was to enjoy yourself, what would you do?
Derek: I would go fishing, go for a picnic with my family/friends or cook and create new recipes.
- If you could spend the day with someone you admire (living or dead or imaginary), who would you pick?
Derek: Nelson Mandela.
- What is your idea of perfect happiness? And, what is your current state of mind?
Derek: To me, perfect happiness is being surrounded by the people I love the most.
I’m currently at a crossroads in my life, where I’m chasing my dream of perfect happiness but it seems elusive to me. My emotions are all over the place. I know I have to reach a decision soon, but so many questions are still unanswered.
- What do you consider to be the most overrated virtue and why?
Derek: Forgiveness. I don’t forget or forgive. If someone does something bad intentionally, then it’s not a mistake, and it doesn’t deserve forgiveness. Some things are just simply unforgettable and unforgivable. And I don’t hesitate to admit it that unlike some others, I don’t have a heart of gold. You hurt me intentionally, and you’re dead to me. Period.
- Tell us 3 things about yourself that the readers do not know about.
Derek: I can be a touch arrogant and self-centered when I want to be. In my childhood, I had a pet cat named Snuggles. And I was a mathlete in school. If I hadn’t gone into medicine, I would have definitely pursued a degree in Maths. I love the subject.